Desert experts guide you on how to get started


[ad_1]

For many, the dawn of a new year comes with a desire to lose weight. Some regret the holiday indulgence, while others see January as the perfect time to reach their weight and fitness goals.

The basics of weight management revolve around eating and exercising with a generous dose of the active mind, so embarking on a concerted effort at the start of a new year is not at all a good idea. bad idea. Motivation is usually high, and if combined with the right diet and exercise program for the person in question, it is possible to actually get a grip on a problem that plagues so many people.

Nadia Popova knows a thing or two about motivating people. As the owner of Send me a trainer, a franchise serving the Greater Palm Springs area, it offers customizable, personal solutions for people who are either too busy to maintain a regular workout routine, uninspired or contrary to the typical gym environment . “At Send Me A Trainer, we come to them,” she says. “All they have to do is sign up for the program. Then a trainer shows up at their door at a specific time and they have virtually no choice but to do a workout! “

To make measurable progress, it’s important to establish a routine. Adding an element of pressure can also help – which is the logic behind the six-week weight loss challenge found at Camp Transformation Center. This Palm Desert franchise’s program includes group training supplemented with nutrition and supplement plans from highly trained coaches.

“The six week challenge is a bit aggressive,” says Alex Ramirez, owner and general manager of The transformation center of the camp. “The meal plan is strict. They must attend a number of classes and weigh themselves weekly. There are a number of things people need to do to lose 20 pounds in six weeks. A thorough initial consultation and assessment helps people decide if this particular challenge is for them or if another program at the center would be better suited.

Ideally, a fitness routine should be consistent and sustainable. Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. “Progress of all kinds comes in small steps towards a bigger goal rather than finding a quick fix,” says Marlys Yvonne, owner and co-founder of Ara Pilates + Movement at Indian Wells. Pilates is a great base for a movement routine as the low impact nature of the practice means it can be done every day without worrying about injuring yourself by overdoing it.

Pilates differs from yoga in that it is designed to be an exercise system while yoga is a preparation for meditation. “Pilates does not appeal to the spiritual aspect of yoga. However, both practices use the breath as a way to connect body and mind and to move with power and ease, ”says Yvonne. The priority that Pilates places on the search for alignment and balance makes it a worthwhile addition to any fitness practice. In fact, many great athletes use Pilates as a way to train.

Nutritionally, the mistake many people make when trying to manage their weight is neglecting to formulate a plan. “A failure to plan is a plan that fails,” says Rachael Bordo, certified health and wellness coach. When it comes to meal planning and groceries, she advises following the 80/20 percent rule. It is best to store 80% nutritious and healthy foods in your pantry to prepare nutritious meals you want ahead of time. The remaining 20% ​​can be what Bordo calls “fun foods”.

“Maybe they’re not the best for you, but you can’t maintain a situation where you have 100% totally healthy food inside,” Bordo says. “You want to afford that 20% fun food to get to where you want to be in terms of goals. Meanwhile, a good rule of thumb when buying groceries is to stick to the edges of the store. The perimeter is your friend. A lot of the good stuff is there – the produce and the protein sources – while the indoor aisles have more processed foods.

The bottom line: A little determination and a proper exercise and nutrition program are the keys to successful weight management.

• READ NEXT: Cosmetic dentistry experts in the desert can restore your smile.

[ad_2]

Comments are closed.